Saturday 12 July 2014

Day 36: Blythe in the Wilderness

So far on this trip I have been going to sleep to a range of strange noises. This has included snoring, dingoes, bats, cattle, children, a DVD movie, power stations and a generator.  Unfortunately last night it was chainsaws.  While I can appreciate the need to carry one for an emergency in forested areas, or to collect firewood on the way to camp, I have never understood why someone feels the need to creat the noise of a jumbo when set up in a Natinal Park.  The only thing that annoys me more is the inconsiderate idiots that think that leaving toilet paper on the ground is appropriate or that glass and tin cans burn in a campfire.

Despite the racket, I rose early to go and take photos of the rock pools in the early light before the hordes of travellers descended on them.  Then my 'horde' joined me as we spent the morning swimming.  





While we could have done this all day, I had the need to get the car back on to dirt.  Unfortunately the 4WD track to the Lost City was closed. It was disappointing as there was no information given on why and I was keen to go. So we made the best of it and went for a drive on one of the few other 4wd tracks in the National Park to Blythe Homestead and Sandy flat. 

With a fun water crossing (only half a metre deep this time) it got the kids excited and Kathy holding her breath.
  


Unfortunately I don't have any photos from outside of is crossing as Kathy was not willing to get out and wade throughout the water to take the photo.  I am not sure why but something about snapping handbags was mentioned.

From here we made our way to the homestead.  I think the term 'homestead' is an extreme overstatement as it was a single room bush humpty made from corrugated iron and termite resistant Cyprus. Surrounding the room was a wrap around verandah that was so low that I even hit my head on it.



Built in 1929 as an out station of the larger adjacent Stapleton Station, it was the home to the two eldest boys of 14 children. Here they worked a tin mine from dawn to dusk in conditions that clearly demonstrated the pioneering hardship of living in the wilderness. Starting work at the age of 9 it was hard to convince the girls how fortunate they are, where there biggest challenge is when the internet goes down.

Returning back along the track, past a termite mound Kathy would not let me stop at (a long story I will spare you with) and back to Florence Falls for an afternoon swim.


The night was finished with Kangaroo burgers and a beer. How appropriate for camping in the Ozi wilderness.

I wonder what noise will fill the night air tonight as I drift in to my slumber?

0 comments:

Powered by Blogger.