Tuesday 15 July 2014

Day 39: getting ready for Act III

Today was spent getting ready for part three of the trip. The leg from Darwin to home.  Being closer to the capitals of 5 other countries than Sydney I was starting to realise we had a lot of driving still ahead of us.

We woke to another clear blue sky morning, temp of 30 deg and a cooling sea breeze.  Kathy in a period of confusion said that it would be nice to live here until I reminder her that for 80% of the year it is unbearably hot and humid and many go troppo waiting for the wet to arrive.

I didn't realise it but Darwin was not always Darwin.  In 1838 the HMS Beagle sailed in to the Harbour where it was named Port Darwin (Charles Darwin was not on board but he was on the previous voyage in 1836). The original settlement was called Palmerston and was only renamed Darwin in 1911.

Having been rebuilt due to the Japanese air raids during WWII and again after Cyclone Tracy I should have spent the day at the numerous memorials and museums but instead it was spent by the pool.

I also managed to get to the shops to replace my Akubra hat with a new one.  I did try the 'Territory Hat' but even the shop keeper said it looked stupid on me so settled for the 'cattleman'.  Now I just need the cows.

In the final act of splurging we went to the sailing club for dinner of magnificent pan fried Barramundi and locally caught prawn under another sunset of orange, red and yellow filling the sky.








Being the furtherest point north I will be travelling, it is somewhat sad to think that tomorrow I will be turning around and heading home. However, with three weeks on the 'boys trip' with Graeme, this could be the biggest adventure yet.






 

1 comment:

  1. Jim, thanks so much for sharing the trip so far and all your beautiful photos. You have a great way of expressing yourself and I've had more than a few laughs. The boss and I plan to do a similar trip, albeit from Melbourne next year so look forward to the rest of your posts. Thanks again and safe travels. Mac and Jen

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.